'Tuned Tape Drums' by Wave Alchemy provides Deep House producers with classic drum machine samples with a twist. A labour of love from start to finish, this pack delivers over 8,000 characterful tape drum samples from a jaw-dropping line-up of iconic drum machines and layered sound sources – processed impeccably using a 100% hardware chain throughout, and lovingly tuned across two full octaves (per sound) in the analogue domain using tape machine Varispeed.
From quirky drum synths such as the SDSV and Syncussion to timeless classics such as the 808, 909 and everything in-between; the Wave Alchemy team sourced a collection of beautifully restored drum machines specifically for the purpose of this project. This collection includes the following:
• 808 (2 different machines)
• Mixed Machines - a unique selection of lesser-known drum machines, hybrid drum sounds, synthesized and never heard before drums
• Layered – a unique collection of heavily layered modern drum sounds. The creators of this pack carefully layered sound sources from modern drum machines, synths, Foley/found sound, acoustic drums & percussion and many more creative sources.
Keeping It Analogue
The goal was to capture as much character and depth as possible so a 100% analogue signal chain was kept throughout, from the recording to the processing/shaping, and even the tuning of the drums themselves.
To preserve this character, everything was captured through Apogee Symphony MKII converters.
Tone Shaping: Bringing The machines Into The Modern Era
Of course, these drum machines sound great right out of the box but the goal was not to capture their clean tone as closely as possible. Instead, each sound was uniquely shaped and enhanced specifically to fit a modern music producer's needs; shaping transients to perfection, adding tasteful analogue saturation, introducing additional punch and clarity, characterful EQ adjustments, and more.
Each drum sound from each drum machine/sound source was carefully processed individually through a totally unique analogue signal chain, using a plethora of high-end and esoteric gear.
To take things further, the sounds were then printed directly to analogue tape, introducing even more character. But that's not all...
Tuning: The Machines As You've Never Heard Them Before
What's most unique about this library is the addition of 25 analogue tuned variations of every drum sound (2 full octaves of pitch per sound). Instead of digital pitch-shifting, true analogue pitch alteration was applied using a Studer analogue tape machine; via a process called Varispeed.
Seeking advice from a tape machine specialist, the team worked out a formula that would allow us to slow down/speed up the analogue tape reel to play back at perfect semi-tones relative to the drum sound's original pitch. They then spent countless hours recording each drum back from tape using this process; ultimately giving them two octaves of unique analogue pitch for each drum sound.
What does this actually mean for you?
You get much more control over tuning than the original machines could ever offer; vastly expanding the tonal range and sonic possibilities of the original machines.Because the pitch shifting was done 100% in the analogue domain via tape, you hear none of the artefacts that are introduced when pitching a sound digitally (in your DAW or sampler, for example). What you are hearing is the true sound of analogue tape, playing back the drum sounds at variable speeds; delivering real pitch shifting in perfect semi-tones.
Kicks sound more realistic and super deep, snares retain all their high-frequency content – everything sounds very characterful and above all, very real. Play tape-tuned 808 basslines, melodic percussion rhythms, or simply introduce sounds into your music that have never been heard before.
As an added bonus, there's also a large collection of drum machine samples, pre-tape machine processing, which deliver a much cleaner tone.
Ableton Live & Push Integration
As well as the included 8,000+ drum samples (in WAV format), 'Tuned Tape Drums' also boasts a powerful, custom built Ableton Live Pack (for Live 9 and 10).
• Easily mix and match any drum sound using our extensive modular Drum Rack environment.
• Tune drums in the analogue domain using our powerful 'Tape Pitch' macro control. This gives you real-time analogue tuning of every drum sound.
• Easily load full, pre-built drum kits for each drum machine, and control their parameters via our custom macros.
• Get creative with our 'Drum Modules' Presets and create your dream drum machine by mixing and matching drum sounds in real time.
• Get musical with our 'Melodic' and 'Pitched' Presets, which offer hundreds of multi-sampled patches; allowing you to play any sound across your keyboard chromatically, in a musical way. Think huge 808 basslines, moody percussive arps, chords, and melodic percussion.
• Deep Push and Push 2 integration. Control everything directly from your Push/Push 2 controller.
• As a bonus, there's also a powerful collection of drum loops Presets, which can be previewed and brought into your Live Session.
• 8,889 drum samples, recorded from a mouth-watering lineup or iconic drum machines and layered sound sources
• All sounds impeccably processed via high-end outboard and recorded to a Studer analogue tape machine for extra character
• Two full octaves of tuning per sound, all pitched 100% in the analogue domain using tape machine Varispeed
• Feature-rich and powerful Ableton Live Pack environment, with full Push/Push 2 integration
• A bonus collection of lovingly processed drum machine sounds recorded pre-tape machine for a cleaner sound